Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Chocolate Touch by Laura Florand


I have truly savored reading The Chocolate Touch by Laura Florand. My advice to anyone starting to read this novel is to have a supply of delicious gourmet chocolates at hand to sample while enjoying the sensuous descriptions Laura Florand so vividly writes. Oh, and a few cups of hot cocoa would be a special treat to yourself as well. I say all of this because this book does what few others do – it invokes all of the senses. I have never been to Paris and do not speak a word of French but throughout this novel I was immersed in all that is Parisian. I’m adding a trip to Paris to my bucket list for sure.

I have to remember that if all romance novel characters were cut from the same cloth, I would tire of reading their repeated stories book after book after book. Not every hero is a strong and perfect member of the male species. In The Chocolate Touch the hero, Dominique, has scars from his childhood that have affected him into his adult life. Jamie has scars of her own which she tries to hide at all costs. Dominique may need Jamie's healing touch possibly even more than she needs his. 

Now on the scale of hotness, I'd give Dominique a big fat "10"Oui Oui! Big and strong, thick soft dark hair, a yummy five-o'clock shadow (that he knows how to put to good use), leather jacket and a motorcycle. Oh Oui Oui indeed! The fellow on the cover is however NOT what I have pictured for Dominique. And Jamie is supposed to have short reddish hair not long brown hair as the book cover shows. But that's okay I never judge a book by its cover. 

The only thing that I found missing from this story was the suspense factor. The whole story is about their meeting, discovering each other and how their relationship evolves - that in and of itself is a good story. However, I would have liked for there to have been more depth – another layer – some problem going on that was not tied to Dom's or Jamie's emotional situation. Maybe someone stole his secret recipe for his award winning chocolate. Or people from Jamie’s recent past adventures are still trying to get to her and Dom saves the day. Just a little something more would have made this book perfect.

I recommend this book to everyone who loves a good romantic story. Especially when the *ahem* love scenes are quite steamy but not trashy. And to anyone who find Paris intriguing. 

And I am anxious to read the other two books in Laura Florand's Chocolate Series, The Chocolate Kiss and The Chocolate Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment