Sunday, June 16, 2013

What's a Shnovel?

You probably won't find shnovel listed in Webster's Dictionary but according to the Urban Dictionary a shnovel is a story longer than a short story, yet shorter than a novel.

Shnovel also rhymes with novel which was necessary when trying to find a suitable blog name. It is quite a challenge being creative and also finding something that someone else is not already using. 

I have read several shnovels and I kind of like them. There is a favorite author of mine, Diana Gabaldon, and though she is known for writing 1,000 page novels (Outlander series), she has also been known to add a story to an anthology with other authors. These stories are what I would call a shnovel. They are a good 40 pages or so in length but quite satisfying. I'd say anything less than 150 pages should be consider a shnovel. 

Sometimes I want a full five course feast of a book that will consume my every possible free moment of time for a week or more. Sometimes I just want an hors d'oeuvres version that I can consume quickly and will tide me over for the meantime.




So now you know the story behind the name of my blog.... Novel Shnovel. I just have to figure out how to add the word shnovel to my computer's internal dictionary so it will stop,auto correcting it to shovel! That is truly driving me crazy!

Do you know of any good shnovels? I'd love some recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment